Ozone is three oxygen atoms. An extra oxygen steals electrons from things it comes in contact with. Most microbes and toxins are electron starved and attracted to this unstable oxygen atom.
People use an ozone generator for improving air quality killing mold, bacteria, mildew, and removing unpleasant smells and odors from homes, automobiles, boats and recreational vehicles.
But the odors and homes vary (pet, smoke, stale tobacco, skunk smell, etc), so the exact treatment can vary according to a specific situation.
Check out my New comfort ozone generator review.
You Need to Know
The main thing about using an ozone generator its output. There are air purifiers emitting a small amount of ozone (400 to 700 mg/hr).
Manufacturers like to produce and offer them because a chance of abuse or misuse is much less. The point is that such insignificant amount of ozone is not enough for a good size room treatment.
A real ozone generator is a serious device with best possible 10,000 mg/hr of ozone output. It shouldn’t be left on for quiet running in the background.
The first and the main rule of a sizable ozone generator is that they are used only in vacated spaces with no people, animals, or even plants. Produced at high levels, ozone has respiratory irritant features.
As soon as the air purifier is turned off O3 begins to dissipate back to oxygen. At this time space must be well ventilated with fresh air.
How to Use Ozone generator?
The time of work and output depends on:
- the size of the area;
- the height of the ceiling;
- the humidity;
- the air movement;
- the strength of the odor, mold, or germs (cat odor can demand a 3-4-hour treatment).
We don’t recommend to run the ozone generator for 12 or more hours. During this period the room should be vacant and the best decision is using ozone generators in 1 to 3 hour periods. Do it from time to time and it will be enough for lived-in or embedded odors.
After the ozone treatment has solved the first stage of odor problems, let the house have a rest for one day and try again. This way you allow the odors to come out and disperse when they encounter the ozone.
Ozone generators alleviate pollen, mold spores, and allergens in the air. O3 kill them, but the particulates will still be in the air. HEPA filtration system takes out the particulates and this is a perfect decision for this purpose. Run the machine once in a week for reducing allergens.
If you want to kill mold the first thing you should pay attention to is its source. Mold can return every time until its water source isn’t stopped. So the task of a generator is to kill mold spores (run it for 4-6 hours) and you should find and stop the water problem. It is important to use a high output ozone machine, the higher the ozone output the better.
Shutting the Generator off:
- Hold your breath, enter the area, and shut off the machine;
- Wait for 30 – 45 minutes for the ozone to break down;
- Help the area air out by opening doors and windows and turning fans on.
Don’t forget to remove your pets, except for fishes, ozone doesn’t bother them. In concentrated doses, ozone is a respiratory irritant that can cause a tickle in your throat, shortness of breath, or a bout of coughing depending on how much you breathe in.
As a precaution, people with asthma should take care to avoid ozone treatment areas entirely.
Set a timer for a cycle you need before leaving the room. But have in mind that ozone must disapear by the moment you return. The best ozone generators have a timer built in but if your model doesn’t have this function, you can buy an inline timer from a local hardware store.
Don’t forget to open the window after ozone treatment.
If people and pets are present, you should only run ozone generators on very low settings, in well ventilated spaces. In the car, you can run the generator for 2-3 hours during the night and start your day with a clean, bacteria free ride.
You may like: How to Reduce In-Car Air Pollution?
- Fix the problem before ozone treatment. Stop leaking, relocate a skunk or smelly pet to other place or call a professional, if necessary.
- Get rid of the source of the odor. Ozone is not a magical odor removal tool. If there is too much material left emitting odor, then those odors will likely come back over time even after an ozone treatment. The better you have cleaned the source, the better the ozone will treat the scent that remains.
- If you need to treat a room then turn the generator on, and exit the room. When you close the door, place a folded towel along the bottom to help seal the gap between the door and the floor.
- For better effect, you can use the furnace fan and the ozone will spread in every part of the house and treat smells in the duct work. Turn on ceiling fans, and place the ozone generator 3-4 feet off the ground. Hot weather and high humidity hinder ozone production and a fan can help in this case. In rooms with high ceilings, fans may be necessary to ensure that your ceiling gets treated.