In fact, prunes are just dried plums. The better age to introduce prunes and plums in baby food is 6-8 months. At this age, solid food added to the diet is constipating for babies and one of the best solutions for babies with blocked bowels is prune baby food.
Begin to introduce it with prunes puree at the beginning and shift its texture gradually to cutting into pieces at the age of around 8 months.
Ninja blender food processor combo will help to make puree faster.
The Benefits of Prunes for Babies
- Prunes are very high in nutrients and fiber so they reduce the risk of heart attack, digestion issues and cancer
- Contain low level of cholesterol and doesn’t contain sodium at all
- Rich in Vitamin A and C
- Natural sugars helps bowel regularity and prevent constipation, even prune juice is effective to get rid of constipation.
- Don’t pose a high allergy risk
For 100 grams prunes contain:
- Calories – 256
- Protein – 2.3 g
- Fats 0.7 g
- Organic acids 3.5 g
- Alimentary fiber – 3.5 g
- Water 25 g
- Vitamine A 10 mcg
- Beta carotene 0.06 mg
- Vitamin B1, thiamine 0.02 mg
- Vitamin B2, riboflavin 0.1 mg
- Vitamin B4, choline 10.1 mg
- Vitamin B5 0.422 mg
- Vitamin B6, pyridoxine 0.205
- Vitamin B9, folate 4 mcg
- Vitamin C, ascorbic 4 mg
- Vitamin E, alpha-tocopherol, 1.8 mg
- Vitamin H, biotin 0.8 mcg
- Vitamin K, phylloquinone 59.5 mcg
- Vitamin PP 1.7 mg
- Niacin 1.5 mg
- Potassium 864 mg
It also contains insignificant amounts of copper, manganese, and zinc.
How to Choose and Store Prunes to Use in Baby Food
Select only natural prunes without any food chemicals and which are sulfate free. Many commercial produced prunes are called “dried plums” now because manufacturers have found out the buyers are more loyal to the product named “dried plums” rather than “prunes”. But there is no difference in fact.
Check the following factors:
- The color should be black. It means the berries were treated with boiling water for disinfection purposes.
- The surface of the prunes should be matte. If it has a pronounced luster, then it is processed with glycerin.
- It should not leave marks on the fingers.
- Prunes should be moderately elastic and not hard.
- The taste of fresh prunes should be pleasantly sweet with a slight sourness, without extraneous availability and bitterness.
Prunes should be stored in a cool and dry place from 6 to 12 months. Keep it in plastic containers, glass jars, metal boxes with airtight lids, canvas bags. In a plastic bag, it can quickly become damp and moldy. Sort the stored prunes and dry it from time to time if necessary.
Easy and Tasty Prune Baby Food Recipes
- Put dried prunes in hot water until they plump up.
- Put it into a food processor and puree it.
- Add water. the more liquid you put, the easier your baby will tolerate its texture.
Watch the baby’s reaction to the texture. You can also mash them with your hands for older babies. You also may mix the pureed prunes with a portion of usual baby food for the first time. The first symptoms of allergy usually appear in several minutes after eating.
Always consult your pediatrician before introducing solid foods to your baby’s diet and of course talk about products that may pose allergy risks.
Prune compote (after 9 months)
- Prunes – 200 g
- Sugar – 1/2 cup
- Wash prunes 2-3 times in warm water
- Pour hot water and sugar
- Wait till it boils and cook on low heat for 15-20 minutes.
Optional Mix-Ins For Prune Baby Food
- Mix prune juice with powdered cereals.
- Add the prune puree to applesauce.
- Mix prune puree with rice cereal or yogurt
- Mix mashed prunes with bananas, blueberries to make it tastier.
Prunes are the best remedy to relieve constipation in babies, but give in moderation as it shouldn’t replace breastfeed until 1 year.
I’m a healthy living blogger who loves to help people who care about having an eco-friendly home environment and a healthy lifestyle. With proper nutrition I helped my brother to cure gastritis and my father to normalize his blood pressure.