Fluoride is found naturally in soil, water, foods (fish, tea and green leafy vegetables), and several minerals. But it neither evaporates at room temperature nor does it break down if you wait long enough or something like that.
Flouride and Health
Fluoride is a toxic substance. Its overdoses can cause mottled teeth at concentrations above 1.5mg/liter and bone damage known as skeletal fluorosis at levels exceeding 4mg/liter
Long-term fluoride exposure can have negative side effects on human bone structure, kidneys, and many other parts of our body.
Pay attention to the fact that showering exposes you to the harmful chlorine more than drinking the water in some cases. Additionally, fluoride has been linked to thyroid problems and other disorders when consumed internally.
Do Water Purifiers Remove Fluoride?
Yes! But not every model, however, can do it. Fluoride is actually hardly difficult to remove from drinking water. If you have a purifier (RO or other), do a lot of research. It must be a multi-stage system with a fluoride removal stage, a carbon stage, and a stage re-injecting the water with the useful minerals.
It’s also better to use testing equipment for verifying effectiveness. You may find out that you need to change filters more often than the manufacturer says.
Fluoride Removal Options
Reverse osmosis filters are a fine at removing fluoride. RO purifiers are specially designed to remove of sodium fluoride and other toxins. Depending on the system that you choose you can expect to see a removal of up to 98% of Fluoride. It’s a filter system that you hook up to your plumbing.
If working with plumbing is hard for you, you’re probably going to have to hire a professional to install it. This kind of filter provides you with a continuous supply of water for cooking and drinking.
Membrane selection plays a key role that significantly affects a system’s fluoride-removal capabilities.
TFC membranes are more expensive, but have higher Total Dissolved Solids (TDS) rejection rates and therefore do a better job at filtering out a broad range of contaminants including fluoride.
The problem is that it wastes more water than produces.
It is a process where water is boiled with the steam contained in a condenser where it is cooled to become a liquid. Distillation can also remove fluoride. It is extremely effective at removing fluoride and everything else in the water, in fact, all you are left with is H2O so pure that it does not conduct electricity.
As a rule, water distillers aren’t much bigger than a coffee maker, so you can take it with you on vacation or to the office.
Distilled water has other health benefits besides reducing fluoride. The high temperature also destroys any biological contaminants like viruses or bacteria. However, distillation takes time and electricity and will not work in power outages. Somebody says that distillation makes water taste flat and lifeless.
Aluminum filters eliminate fluoride. They remove around 90-95% of fluoride for 2000 liters (6 months). They are used in locations where fluorosis is prevalent. Activated Alumina has also recently been chosen for use in the United States’ largest fluoride removal plant in Andrews, Texas.
It is a resin, which is electrically charged to attract positive and negative minerals. A standard 10″ cartridge will only filter around 600 – 800 liters, and if not changed regularly will become saturated and dump all minerals back into the water.
Ways to Reduce Fluoride Exposure
10 tips that will inform you how to significantly minimize your fluoride exposure:
- Don’t Drink Fluoridated Tap Water. It is especially important for babies. People living in the location which makes its water fluoridated can stop drinking this toxin in these ways:
- Water Purifiers: One of the easiest ways of removing the fluoride from tap water is to buy a water filter. It can be a reverse osmosis system, activated alumina or any filter mentioned before.
- Purchase Spring Water: Many manufacturers of spring water produce it with low levels of fluoride. The fluoride content must be ideally less than 0.1 ppm.
- Water Distillation: The last but not the least way to avoid fluoride is purchasing a distillation unit. Distillation process removes most, if not all, of the fluoride.
- Don’t Swallow Fluoride Toothpaste. As a rule, it is the largest source of fluoride intake for little children. Use a non-fluoride toothpaste. And don’t buy candy flavored toothpastes, they increase the risk that your baby will swallow it. Even if the toothpaste is not swallowed, the fluoride may cross the gum membrane and enter the bloodstream.
- Don’t Get Fluoride Gel Treatments at the Dentist. It should ONLY be used for people at highest risk of cavities. Even if dentists use suction devices, children, elders, and adults still intake more paste than needed, it can provoke high spikes of fluoride in the blood. It can cause nausea, stomach pain, and vomiting.
- Eat More Fresh Food and Drinks. As a rule, therefore, if a food is highly processed, it contains a high level of fluoride. The naturally occurring levels of fluoride in most spring water and the fresh food is low. Processed drinks (e.g., sodas, sports drinks, reconstituted juices) contain far more to fluoride intake than foods which were processed, so focus on reducing your drinking of processed beverages.
- Buy Organic Wine and Grape Juice. The levels of fluoride in United States grape juice and wine are consistently elevated. If you buy wine and grape juice, buy organic or European brands, as they use far less cryolite than the United States.
- Drink Less Black & Green Tea. Especially if it is bottled and instant types. The tea plant accumulates fluoride, and excess tea drinking can cause a bone disease called skeletal fluorosis. The anti-oxidant level in tea is much higher in younger leaves than in old ones. Young leaves also have lower levels of fluoride. So if you love tea, buy sorts made from young leaves.
- Avoid Cooking with Teflon Pans. It can increase the fluoride content in your dish significantly.
- Be Mindful of Taking Cipro and Other Fluorinated Pharmaceuticals. They contain a “carbon-fluorine bond.” The most famous example is Cipro, Flecainide, Niflumic acid, and Voriconazole. If you take some of them, try to know if there are better alternatives. Ask your doctor if there are any appropriate alternatives. If you are going to have surgery, find out if the doctor can use a non-fluorinated anesthetic.
- Sy No Mechanically-Deboned Chicken. Most chicken fingers and nuggets are made with using a mechanical deboning process. It increases the number of bone pieces in the meat. Bones accumulate fluoride. This way of all the kinds of meat products that are deboned mechanically, the meat of a chicken has the highest levels of fluoride.
- Don’t Eat Fluoridated Salt. Make sure that the kind of salt you purchase is unfluoridated. Eating fluoridated salt can greatly increase a person’s fluoride exposure.
What Methods Don’t Remove Fluoride?
- Activated charcoal does not remove fluoride. It eliminates chlorine and lead and the Erin Brokovich chemicals. Activated carbon can get rid of only 40 to 60% of fluoride in water, and it loses its effectiveness in a very short time.
- Boiling water cannot eliminate fluoride, as it does not evaporate easily. It will become concentrated as a fluorine salt, if however, you trap the steam from the water for example by distillation then the water will be separated from the fluoride.
- UV is very good at destroying viruses and bacteria but it doesn’t eliminate fluoride.
- Water softeners don’t eliminate fluoride. It is created only to soften water. It removes calcium and magnesium ions and replaces them with sodium or potassium ions.
Which type of filter, and particular model would be the better decision for you is really a matter of personal preference based on the other features – portability, being prepared for emergencies, etc. A high-quality water filter is an important element of a healthy family and one of the easiest switches to make for a healthier life!
Drinking clean water is one the most important things you can do for your health, having a reliable water filter or a source of good clean water to consume should be at the top of your natural living priority list.
My name is Stanislav Matveev. Here, on this site I write articles about an eco-friendly and healthy lifestyle. I’ve been a raw vegan since July 2015.