It is considered that consuming clear and mineral water we help our bodies to stay fit and healthy. Nowadays almost every person has a water purifier in his/her house to make tap water clean and potable. But can a water purifier remove minerals that are so essential for us?
Mineral water is water from a natural source containing a certain amount of TDS.
The term TDS (Total dissolved solids) means a total amount of elements that a certain volume of water contains. TDS include salts, minerals, and other components that get into water from different sources: the ground, rocks, leaves, plankton, etc.
TDS level can be defined in laboratories or at home with the help of special TDS-meter. TDS is measured in ppm = parts per million, which means 1 milligram of dissolved solids in 1 kilogram of water.
Mineral water of good quality should contain about 250 ppm of TDS, as the U.S. Food and Drug Administration states.
This organization gives the following classification of water:
- “Up to 249 mg/liter is classified as ‘Spring Water’.
- From 250 to 500 mg/liter is considered ‘Low Mineral Content’ or Light Mineral Water
- Above 500 mg/liter is considered normal or High Mineral Content.”
This classification may differ according to the country. If you buy bottled mineral water, it’s important to pay attention to the label on the bottle to evaluate its quality and to learn more about its contents.
Are Minerals Important for Your Health?
Minerals are not less important for your body than vitamins. Minerals take part in many vital processes in our organisms: they help to build bones, heal, grow and develop our body, to transmit nerve impulses. Some minerals play a vital role in producing hormones and keeping your heart healthy.
Everyone should make sure if he/she gets enough minerals every day, as minerals also help your immune system function well and keep you healthful.
According to various studies, mineral water has the following advantages:
- it promotes processes of detoxification in our bodies
- it helps to replenish the electrolytes that we lose with the sweat
- it is a nice source of calcium which is very helpful for those who are lactose intolerant
- it can lower elevated blood cholesterol levels in our bodies
- it hydrates our bodies better than tap water
- it helps to remove the neurotoxin aluminum from the body thus reducing the cognitive decline in Alzheimer’s
- it renews blood cells and removes toxic elements in the body
Mineral Water Constitution
Mineral water can contain the following minerals:
- Aluminum (Al)
- Arsenic (As)
- Borondioxyde (BO2-)
- Bromine (Br-)
- Calcium (Ca++)
- Chloride (Cl-)
- Cobalt (Co)
- Carbon dioxide (CO2)
- Chromium (Cr-)
- Copper (Cu++)
- Fluoride (F-)
- Germanium (Ge)
- Hydrogencarbonate (HCO3-)
- Iodine (I)
- Iron (Fe++)
- Lithium (Li+)
- Magnesium (Mg++)
- Manganese (Mn+)
- Nitrate (NO3-)
- Rubidium (Rb)
- Silica (SiO2)
- Sodium (Na+)
- Strontium (Sr++)
- Sulfate (SO4–)
- Zinc (Zn++)
Some of them are healthy and some of them are harmful to us. But if you consume mineral water in bottles, here are the good news for you: bottled mineral water usually contains enough healthy minerals and none or a very little amount of bad ones which makes no harm for your body.
The healthful minerals are:
- Magnesium: improves your immune system, helps to release muscle tension, and regulates blood pressure
- Chloride and Bicarbonates: advantageous for your digestion
- Iron: helps to import oxygen into the blood
- Sulfate: takes part in the processes of body detoxification
- Calcium: beneficial for your bones and teeth
It is important to keep in mind that water that has a high level of minerals can be as harmful to your health as water with a low one.
Do Water Purifiers Remove Minerals?
The majority of water purifying systems, especially the ones based on the Reverse Osmosis (RO) principle, remove almost all the contaminants and other elements present in water. RO purifiers have a membrane element that doesn’t pass the molecules that are larger than water molecules.
As minerals have molecules larger than the water ones, RO purifiers remove them. But apart from healthy organic minerals RO purifiers also remove harmful and inorganic minerals. Tap water often contains lots of inorganic elements harmful for people even if it has a lot of organic minerals.
So, using water purifying systems helps to get rid of all the contaminants that cause stress for our bodies (including inorganic minerals), it’s much better to receive minerals beneficial for us from food or dietary supplementary sources.
But for those who believe that mineral water is more beneficial for health in comparison with food, there is a special tool attached to many purifying systems – mineralizer that retains the natural minerals and balances the PH level in drinking water.
Whatever you choose, always pay attention to the quality – the quality of water, food or the quality of the purifying system.
I’m a healthy living blogger who loves to help people who care about having an eco-friendly home environment and a healthy lifestyle. With proper nutrition I helped my brother to cure gastritis and my father to normalize his blood pressure.