Many people are not afraid of mold in our houses, but they do not consider it harmful and so they ignore it and move with their lives. Meanwhile, the tiny, malicious fungi affect our air intake and health in general.
The thing is that even better ventilation systems which include air conditioners help only for a while.
The reasonable decision is the right, functional and quality air purification systems. So today I’m going to talk about air purifiers for mold. They help to eliminate not only mold spores but also pet dander, dust, smoke and terrible smells.
After many hours of testing purifiers, I can say what makes the best air purifiers for mold:
- high-efficiency air filter;
- easy maintenance.
The GermGuardian AC4825 3-in-1 Air Purifier with True HEPA Filter and UV-C Sanitizer has all those features. It is a portable HEPA air filter that is efficient, simple to use, perfect for clearing out mold and dust and very quiet.
With the full list below, you can see all the pros and cons of individual products and figure out what is best air purifier for mold 2018 for you and your friends or family.
Best Air Purifier for Mold 2018
Here is our top-5 of the best air purifiers for mold:
- GermGuardian AC4825 3-in-1 Air Purifier with True HEPA Filter, UV-C Sanitizer
- LEVOIT LV-H132 Air Purifier with True Hepa Filter
- GermGuardian AC4825 3-in-1 Air Purifier with True HEPA Filter, UV-C Sanitizer
- Webetop Air Purifier with 5-in-1 True HEPA Filters, UV-C Lighter Ionizer with Real Time Air Quality Indicator
- PureZone 3-in-1 True HEPA Air Purifier
- Winix 5300-2 Air Purifier with True HEPA, PlasmaWave and Odor Reducing Carbon Filter
- SilverOnyx Air Purifier with True HEPA Carbon
- Alen Paralda Dual Airflow Tower Air Purifier
Best Air Purifier for Mold 2018 Comparison
|Model||Filtration Type||Max Coverage||Warranty||Particles Removed|
|True HEPA Filter, UV-C Sanitizer, A carbon filter||150 square feet||3 years||99.97%|
|Fine Preliminary Filter , True HEPA filter, Activated Carbon Filter||87 square feet||2 Year||99.97%|
|Webetop||HEPA Filters, UV-C Lighter, Ionizer||480 square feet||***||99.99%|
|PureZone||UV-C light, HEPA filter||200 square feet||5 years||99.97%|
|Winix 5300-2||HEPA, PlasmaWave and Odor Reducing Carbon Filter||360 square feet||2 years||99.97%|
|SilverOnyx||True HEPA, Carbon, Negative ion generator, UV light, Mesh preliminary filter||600 square feet||***||99.97%|
|Alen Paralda Dual Airflow Tower||HEPA-Silver, UV||500 square feet||lifetime limited||***|
GermGuardian AC4825 3-in-1 Air Purifier with True HEPA Filter, UV-C Sanitizer – Best Small Room Air Purifier for Mold and Mildew
Thisuses UV-C, HEPA, and odor reduction technologies to clean the air that you breathe in from fungus, dust, allergens, some of which causing bad odors.
- true HEPA filtration is perfect for eliminating pollens, spores, pet dander, and dust.
- UV light kills airborne viruses, bacteria, and other germs like rhinovirus, streptococcus, and E. coli. It not only kills germs, but it also activates titanium dioxide in the AC4825 which decomposes other harmful molecules. The UV light is perfectly silent and doesn’t cause any noise or produce any side effects. It looks like a soft glow and won’t bother sleeping people.
- Odor Reduction stands (a carbon filter) filters the large particles while increasing the lifespan of the HEPA filter, reduce bad smells from pets and house routine and create a fresh environment.
Theuses a fan that can be set to 3 speeds, namely low, medium, and high. It not only determines its power but also the noise level. Low-operation mode was created to run quietly, but when it is on high, the device might be a little bit noisy.
This 22-inch purifier is designed for small and medium-sized rooms under 150 square feet which is roughly a 10 x 15.5 ft room. But most people have found that it works great even in much larger spaces, in this case, the amount of time required to clean the air increases accordingly.
If you live in a basement, the GermGuardian AC4825 will make the stale air crisp and refreshing.
The unit comes in the mail completely assembled and ready to go with the filters already in place. Parts are aligned well, are tightly assembled, and there aren’t noticeable gaps or quality control issues to speak of.
It’s better to put the purifier away from the wall or in the middle of the room so that it can get good circulation throughout the room.
You can also make your filters last longer by cleaning them with the help of a vacuum cleaner.
The purifier itself is 100% safe and there’s nothing to be concerned about.
- Purification Technology – True HEPA;
- Captures airborne particles – up to 0.3 microns;
- Recommended Room Size – 155 sq. ft.;
- Cord Length (in ft) – 6;
- Power – 62 W;
- Energy rating – Energy Start / CADR 100+;
- Simple rotary control;
- Dimensions – 7 x 10.2 x 21.5 inches;
- Weight – 7 pounds;
- a three-year limited warranty;
- Maker – (brand) GermGuardian.
LEVOIT LV-H132 Air Purifier with True Hepa Filter – Best Portable HEPA Air Purifier for Mold
The compact design of LEVOIT LV-H132 with a soft blue light on top hides 3-stage filtration system and comes with a few smart sensors.
- Fine Preliminary Filter removes all big particles (airborne bacteria, large mold spores, pet hair, etc.) in the air and increases the lifespan of true HEPA. That’s why a pre-filter saves money. It is NOT washable, you can damage the other filters in the process.
- True HEPA filter eliminates 99.97% of all particles 0.3 microns in diameter (all allergens, pollen, and pet dander).
- Activated Carbon Filter removes odors of smoke, cooking, pets or any other odor smells.
Replace filters every 6 to 9 months. When the filter reset button lights up, check the filters and replace them if need be. Filter replacement is very easy. Take off the lid, remove and replace all three filters at once.
Theand dust is designed to service rooms up to about 86-87 square feet. But it’s surprisingly powerful – its Clean Air Delivery Rate is 110. This means the cleaner should work fine in rooms from 85 to 110 sq ft in size. You can place it anywhere you wish at least 15 inches away from any obstacles. The best place for such a purifier is on an elevated surface. The portability of this purifier makes it easy to travel with.
An interesting detail is the night blue light on the top of the machine. It could actually be very handy for dark hallways on the way to the bathroom at night or for kids who are afraid to sleep in darkness
The only sensor is the filter replacement indicator, but the lack of smart sensors is compensated by the simplicity of use. The fan comes with 3-speed settings. The second speed is the optimal option. At the lowest setting, it produces less than 43dB, and the device won’t disturb you when you sleep.
The LEVOIT LV-H132 uses only about 28 watts, and let you save money on energy even if you use the unit 24/7. Remember that you can return it the first 30 days after purchasing it if you are not pleased with its performance.
- Recommended room area – 86 square feet, (small room)
- Clean air delivery rate (CADR) – 110 ft 3 per minute
- Nightlight – yes
- 3 fan-speed buttons
- Cord length – 6 feet
- Filter type – 3-stage filtration; pre-filter
- Colour – white with black accents and blue lights
- Noise level – 43 decibels on the highest setting (level 3)
- Size – 9.8 x 9.7 x 14.6 inches
- Weight – 6.6 pounds
Webetop Air Purifier with 5-in-1 True HEPA Filters, UV-C Lighter Ionizer with Real Time Air Quality Indicator – Best Air Purifier for Mold Mycotoxins and Pets
Webetop is a Canadian company offering a wide variety of products.
The purifier for mold removal has a black digital screen on top of it surrounded by LED lights which give out a specific color depending on the device’s functions. It turns blue when the sensor has found that the quality of the air is good. It changes to red when it is bad, and to green if it has detected ‘a little’ pollution in the air.
The Webetop purifier comes with a similarly looking remote control. A Clean Air Delivery Rate of the device is 200+ and it makes the unit quite efficient at doing its job.
Thehas a 5-in-1 filtration system with 2 True HEPA filters (one extra) and a UV-C light filter. The purifier also has a Negative ionizer removing all bad smells.
Moreover, thishas a silent option which leaves it doing its job without disturbing anyone. You can use it every day but it will turn off automatically in every 12 hours or it can do it according to the timer of 1/ 2/ 4/ 8 hours.
- Voltage/Frequency – AC 100V-120V/60Hz
- Product dimension – 13.7″ L x 7″ W x 18.3″ H
- 4 working speeds
- Product weight – 12.3lb
- CADR Rated – 200
- UV Light: Wavelength – 256nm
- Negative ion density – 2 x 10^7 pcs/cm3
- Coverage Area – Up to 480 sq ft
PureZone 3-in-1 True HEPA Air Purifier – Best Small Air Purifier for Mold for the Money
PureZone 3-in-1 effectively sanitizes your air with the help of its 4-stage filtration that consists of Pre-filter, carbon filter, HEPA filter and a class unique UV-C light. Pre-filter captures large particles, a carbon filter for deodorizing purposes, and a HEPA filter catches the micro-particles. UV-C technology kills bacteria and viruses.
It is vastly efficient on large airborne pollutants such as mold spores, dust, hair, pet dander.
Theis well-designed, the top control panel is perfectly affixed and ergonomically placed to enable seamless usage. This air purifier for mold and dust mites is capable to cover medium sized room up to 200 square feet in size.
Noise level is subtle at low or medium fan speed and of course high at fanspeed, this product offers a noise level of just 30 decibels, giving it a desirably inconspicuous demeanor.
Filters can go as long as 6 months without needing to be changed and that’s if you’re using it frequently. Don’t forget to sweep and brush the air-ventilation at least once a month or as required.
- Dimension – 6.9 x 12.1 x 10.8 in
- Weight – 8.4 lb (3.8 kg)
- Coverage (up to) – 200 sq. ft.
- Dust free (CADR) – 80 cfm
- Pollen free (CADR) – 80 cfm
- Smoke free (CADR) – 80 cfm
- Fanspeed – 3
- Filtration – 4-stage
- Noise level – 30 – 50 dB
- Power consumption – 60 W
- Timer – 2, 4, 8 hours
- Filter change indicator
- Warranty – 5 years
- Email/Phone support
Winix 5300-2 Air Purifier with True HEPA, PlasmaWave and Odor Reducing Carbon Filter – Best Affordable Air Purifier for Mold in Basement
The Winix 5300 air purifier has 4-stage filtration system and can cover a room up to 360 square feet. The interesting detail is the PlasmaWave technology that battles mold, bacteria, viruses and other harmful particles with no ozone emissions.
This is one of the
4-stage filtration option:
- Permanent Pre-filter eliminates large particles such as hair, dust, and pet dander. It is not necessary to replace this filter, you should clean it with a vacuum cleaner or a soft brush every two weeks. It extends the life of other filters.
- Activated Carbon filter eliminate the odors that appear in stuffy rooms, kitchens, smoking rooms. The main feature is the CleanCel coat that doesn’t allow the mold and bacteria to grow inside the device. The carbon filters need to be replaced every 3 – 6 months.
- TrueHEPA filter captures 99.97% of all the harmful particles, such as dust mites, pet dander, pollen, and mold spores. Depending on the frequency of use, you’ll need to change it once in 12 months.
- PlasmaWave Technology filter is an ionizer in fact. It produces both positive and negative ions that create plasma clusters that eliminate all types of viruses, bacteria, chemical vapors, and even smells. It doesn’t require any replacement filters or other maintenance and you can turn it off and on whenever you wish.
The Winix 5300 is a floor-standing model. For better air circulation, you need to install it at least 15 inches away from the wall. The surface must be hard and flat, and there must not be any electrical appliances within 12-18 inches of the unit.
- Sleep mode – the unit automatically adjusts the fan to the quietest setting and dims the control panel lights when the lights go off.
- Air Quality Sensor – as soon as the sensor determines that the air quality is low, it automatically adjusts the speed of the fan to improve the clean air circulation. There are 4 fan speeds: low, medium, high and turbo and of course, you can always set the fan as you wish.
- Filter Replacement indicator – it only works for the true HEPA filter.
The noise level is 55 dB at the highest fan setting that is pretty low, not louder than a quiet conversation. But when PlasmaWave option is enabled, the unit can produce buzzing sounds because the particles are eliminated by the ionizer. That’s why I wouldn’t recommend turning it on in the night.
The energy consumption rate:
- Speed 1 – 14 watts
- Speed 2 – 34 watts
- Speed 3 – 70 watts
- Speed 4 – 128 watts
The CADR rating:
- Smoke – 232
- Dust – 243
- Pollen – 246
This coverage area allows using this air purifier for mold and dust allergies in most of the rooms in your house, including the basement and the attic.
- Energy Usage – 70 Watts,
- Color – grey, with a shiny black control panel
- Noise level – 26 – 55 decibels
- Size – 15.0 x 8.2 x 23.6 inches
- Weight – 15.4 pounds
SilverOnyx Air Purifier with True HEPA Carbon – Best Air Purifier for Black Mold and Viruses
The SilverOnyx is an air purifier for mold smell that can blend in any room thankfully its modern design. It is one of the best air purifiers to get rid of mold as it has 5 stages of filtration.
- Mesh preliminary filter catches large particles that make expensive true HEPA filter dirty. It collects hair, large dust, dirt and other air pollution.
- True HEPA filter removes 99.97% of airborne particles and larger than 0.3 microns. The majority of the airborne particles including mold spores will be caught with this filter.
- Activated carbon filter removes bad smells like kitchen cooking, pets smells like urine, dander or just scent and smoke.
- Negative ion generator. You can turn this feature on and off. Negative ions prevent the occurrence of any contaminants that could cause any bacterial infections.
- UV light sanitizer kills viruses and bacteria.
The SilverOnyx has five speeds, so this little device is powerful enough to clean the air in the rooms up to 600 square feet. Moreover, it has an indicator that will tell you when you need to replace filters. This little device is extremely powerful.
If you want to use theat night, press the Sleep function to diminish the blue light a bit. The only downside could be that you have to use the genuine parts when you need to replace them.
- Adapter Power Supply – Input 110-120V ~ 50/60Hz / 0.6A
- Max Clean Air Delivery Rate – 140 m³/hr
- Dimensions – 8.5″ x 8.5″ x 13.2″ (215 x 215 x 335mm)
- Model – KJ150F-C02
- Noise Level – Min: < 25 dB(A); Max: 56 dB(A)
- Unit Power Supply – 24V DC 1A
- Weight – 4 lbs (1.8 Kg)
- Color Options – Black, Silver, White
Alen Paralda Dual Airflow Tower Air Purifier – Best Small Room Air Purifier for Mold
The Alen Paralda is air purifier for mold smell that comes with many effective features, including safety features. It comes with interesting features, like the HEPA filter and touch-responsive controls. The Silver-Ion Technology charges all the impurities in the air, making them more simple to be captured by causing them to group together.
HEPA-Silver fibers are antimicrobial treated, which prevents the appearance of bacteria, mold, and germs in the filter. Unlike other systems, it features a Dual Airflow Technology, which allows it to pull air in through its back, and release clean air through two areas instead of just one.
Theis Energy Star certified, so it was created to lower your energy bills. Maintaining the purifier for mold and allergens is very easy. Replace its filter after 6 months of cleaning the highly polluted air, or after 12 months if the air is not that contaminated.
Remember that this unit loses settings when power goes off. You, therefore, need to program it after every power disconnection or power outage.
- Dimensions – 28” x 11” x 7”
- Weight – 15 Lbs
- Area Coverage – 500 Square Feet
- Noise Level – 39 – 60 dB
- Power – 120V, 60Hz
- CADR Rating for Smoke – 97
- CADR Rating for Pollen – 114
- CADR Rating for Dust – 107
- Fan Speeds – 4
- Filter Type – HEPA Style, Ionizer
- Control Panel – LCD Display
- Timer Function – Yes
Best Air Purifier for Mold – Buyer’s Guide
How Mold Exposure Can Affect Your Health?
Most of us do not understand that the cause of our respiratory diseases is often not a result of dust or even smoke influence but mold spores. It may reside on a surface but when the surface is disrupted, the spores become airborne and can to cause problems for people.
Mold spores are very little and they can pass through the cilia in your sinuses and they are too small to be easily exhaled, so they can become lodged in your lung tissue.
Moreover, there have been studies that suggest a link between early mold exposure and the development of asthma in children.
The U.S. Department of Health states that mold produces potent toxins that not only can be absorbed by the lungs, but also the skin and intestines. This way, the long-term effects of its exposure can have effects including cancer, neurotoxicity, memory loss, cardiac conditions and more.
What You Must Know About Air Purifiers For Mold and How Do They Work?
Mold is a tiny fungus, and it is hard to see it with the naked eyes.
An air cleaner for mold and mildew removes contaminants from the air in a room and are a perfect decision for allergy and asthma sufferers. They offer you allergen-free, dust-free, and a smoke-free atmosphere. Purifiers filter allergens with the help of filters, electrical attraction, or the ozone.
Some of them have True HEPA Filter, UV Light, Activated Carbon Filter and Photo Catalyst technologies to give maximum protection.
HEPA filters remove:
- mold spores;
- pet dander.
The more times the air passes through the HEPA filter, the cleaner the air.
The Ultra-Violet (UV) Light System can be built in as an additional function. It kills viruses, bacteria, and also protects the HEPA filter from biological and viral contamination. It works by sending out a light which zaps the spores and destroys their DNA. This function is helpful but is not necessary for removing spores.
A combination of these two features guarantees fresh, crisp, clean air in a house.
Key Features to Look for in a Mold Air Purifier
When looking for a mold air filter there are several key features you want to keep in mind to know
Filters of Air Purifier for Mold
The best choice is a high-efficiency air filter like the HEPA Filter. It is able to remove the smallest mold spore particles. Most mold spores range from 3-100 microns in size, but some can be as small as 1 micron. So it is important to invest in a purifier that removes at least 3-micron size particulates or smaller.
The only downside to the HEPA filter is that it can be expensive to replace.
A high-efficiency pre-filter helps eliminate 99.97% of large mold spores, pollen, dust mites and many other small airborne particles, and it is one of the best air purifier technologies offered to combat mold.
Stay away from devices called “HEPA-like” or “HEPA-type” as they are inferior to a True HEPA device.
Activated carbon filter eliminates mold odor. Activated carbon is excellent at absorbing toxic Volatile Organic Compounds and Microbial Volatile Organic Compounds that mold emits. Without it, the smell of mold can stay.
It eliminates not only mold smell but others like odors from pets, cleaning supplies, cooking and some types of smoke.
Noise-level features are also very important, that’s why the whisper-quiet operation system is a big advantage. Many air purification devices use a fan to force the circulation of air. Some purifiers have adjustable fan settings to help you control the noise levels.
The absence of a fan usually makes a device noise-free but less productive at the same time. So, choosing a purifier with an adjustable noise-level is a critical factor.
The unique features like the Smart Sensor, UV Germicidal light, and ionizer assist in the removal of impurities and give you a crisp and refreshing indoor environment.
Don’t forget to pay attention to the simplicity, convenience, and price, size of your rooms, maintenance, and brand of the purifier.
Mold air purifiers offer you air free from mold spores which can cause fatal health issues. Choosing the best model, pay attention to your personal demands. Triple-action powerhouses of air purification, like the True HEPA Filter, the UV Light, the Activated Carbon Filter and the Photo Catalyst technologies gives maximum protection.
My name is Stanislav Matveev. Here, on this site I write articles about an eco-friendly and healthy lifestyle. I’ve been a raw vegan since July 2015.