Ozone is a colorless gas discovered in the 19th century, that consists of 3 oxygen atoms in an unstable structure due to the presence of mesomeric states. A layer of ozone exists in the earth’s stratosphere to protect the earth from the sun’s ultraviolet radiation, most of which it absorbs.
It protects the surface of the Earth and people from the harmful effects of the sun’s ultraviolet light.
But Ozone found in the troposphere, or at ground level, is manmade and dangerous and it can also be toxic when inhaled.
A portable ozone generator is a great device to clean the air if you use it right.
Ozone therapy is not a new age science though and has, in fact, been around for quite a while. In medicine, it was first used more than 150 years ago for disinfection and diseases treatment. Now it is used to activate the immune system, disinfect and treat diseases by limiting the effects of bacteria, viruses, fungi, yeast, and protozoa.
It disrupts the integrity of the bacterial cell envelope through oxidation of the phospholipids and lipoproteins. Ozone is used to purify drinking water. It removes bad tastes, and odors, and it kills e. coli in water.
Ozone therapy is the use of the water soluble gas ozone to treat a variety of medical conditions. In the hospital, ozone therapy gas is made from medical-grade oxygen sources.
Ozone therapy may be given in three ways:
- Directly to the tissue if a patient has an extremity problem or wound.
- Auricular insufflations is irrigating the ear canal used to treat the blood and lymphatic system of the body.
- Intravenously for internal disorders.
- Sauna treatments is a special sauna where your head is placed outside the treatment zone. You will not be breathing in the steam mixture. It will enter the body via the pores and help to cleanse the skin, pores and lymphatic system.
- Intramuscularly injection.
- Vaginal and rectal insufflation. Ozone is applied via the vagina or rectum and will be used to treat various conditions.
In yet another technique, blood is drawn out, mixed with ozone, and reinjected into the body in a procedure known as autohemotherapy.
Today it is used for treating the following:
- infected wounds;
- circulatory disorders;
- geriatric disorders;
- SARS – unique properties play a possible role in the therapy as an adjunct to standard treatment;
- macular degeneration;
- viral diseases;
- rheumatism and arthritis;
Ozone generators are often used to destroy all the virus, mold and bacteria in the air and eliminating even the smoke odors out of items rescued from a fire. They are designed to remove odors in cars, offices, hotels, homes and other places.
Generators disperse ozone that penetrates every nook such as carpets, walls and light fixtures. Unlike air purifiers, ozone generators kill bacteria and other microbes that cause tough smells such as smoke, mildew, and skunk.
Ozone can and has been used for disinfection in dentistry during tooth extraction, sterilization of cavities, herpetic lesions, periodontal pockets, and root canals.
Studies examining how ozone may be beneficial to health showed:
- inactivating bacteria, fungi, viruses, parasites, yeast in the air and in the body. It is useful in killing Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA), a superbug that is resilient to antibiotics.
- stimulating the immune system by increasing the production of cytokine like gamma interferon, interleukin-2, colony stimulating factor, and TNF-alpha, to name just a few.
- improving circulation by cleaning the arteries and veins.
- ozone therapy could be helpful for repairing skin and tissue.
- ozone can help tackle chronic conditions in the body.
- purifying blood and the lymph and increases the amount of oxygen that is delivered to the cells by Red Blood Cells.
- normalizing hormone and enzyme production.
- having anti-inflammatory properties.
- heart problems can also be treated with the help of the protective antioxidant effects of ozone therapy
- reducing pain, can be used in cancer treatment to alleviate side effects.
- cancer cells cannot thrive in an oxygen-rich environment. They don’t have enzymes to protect them from being oxidized. This makes all unhealthy cells, including cancers defenseless to ozone.
- nails and hair grow longer and stronger.
- ozone reduces acidity in the body which is the cause of gout and damages the blood vessels.
- the skin has a more healthy glow.
- a person has more physical energy.
- falling asleep is easier.
- medical ozone contains large excess of energy which it also uses to kill HIV, viruses bacteria, and germs on contact.
- reducing cardiac arrhythmia or abnormal heart rhythm.
- ozone detoxifies your body.
- reducing the risk of complications from diabetes, O3 was found to activate the antioxidant system affecting the level of glycemia.
- improving brain function and memory.
Ozone therapy also helps flush out infected cells. Once the body rids itself of these infected cells, it produces new, healthy ones.
You may like: Do Air Purifiers Get Rid of Dust?
Ozone gas has an odd number of atoms, which makes it unstable. That’s why before ozone therapy or ozone generator purchasing it’s better to discuss potential risks with a doctor.
Ozone has a capacity to oxidize organic compounds and has toxic effects on the respiratory system when present in the air. Ozone should not be inhaled under any circumstance. It can cause coughing, nausea, vomiting, or headaches.
Even small amounts of ozone can irritate the lungs and throat, resulting in coughing, shortness of breath, and damage to lung tissue that is more susceptible to infections. Longer and severe exposure can be a reason of respiratory complications.
Exposure of O3 induces a significant mean decrement in vital capacity of lungs.
Side effects include:
- shortness of breath and other respiratory problems;
- combinations of O3 and NO2 occur in photochemical smog, have hazardous effects on lung alveoli;
- enzyme inactivation;
- swelling of blood vessels;
- poor circulation;
- heart problems;
- increased risk of stroke;
- damage to the eardrum via insufflation of the ear;
- causing pulmonary embolism and death when given intravenously.
These adverse effects are rare and, under normal circumstances, ozone is considered to be safe.
Ozone therapy can also cause Herxheimer reaction that can make the individual have flu-like symptoms and make them feel worse in the short-term. This is not an Ozone side effect but a natural healing process seen in other modalities as well.
With rectal ozone treatments, you may experience mild discomfort, feeling as if you need to pass gas or have mild cramping. You may also experience a gurgling sensation. These feelings are temporary and will pass soon.
Patients suffering from hyperthyroidism, epilepsy, and bleeding disorders must, however, stay away from ozone therapy, and so should pregnant women.